Ways that Disney Brought us Together!
Hey everyone, I’m Mike, she’s Sophie, that’s Brenda, and and he’s Grogu, and we’re On the Road with Mickey! This is episode 140 for October 3, 2022, and today our feature topic is Ways that Disney Brought us Together! Grab your favorite beverage, sit back, and relax, and tell us in the comments below what you think! Here’s the rundown of what we talked about:
- Cheddar from the Big Cheese
- Brenda: Starting January 4, 2023 at Disney’s Hollywood Studios, and January 9, 2023 at the Magic Kingdom, Disney After Hours events are returning! These are specially-ticketed events that allow you to enjoy the WDW theme park for an extra 3 hours, with snacks and treats included in the price, and lower crowds for catching all of your favorite attractions.
- Sophie: The lineup of narrators for the Epcot Candlelight Processional has been released. There are a few days that are still TBD, but I can tell you that for our day, December 3rd, we will have Whoopi Goldberg as our narrator!
- Mike: Our thoughts and prayers are with all of you in the path of Hurricane Ian. We are recording prior to the arrival of the hurricane, but the release date is after it is set to have moved through, so just know we are praying for all of you for safety, low property damage, and safe travels if you are moving somewhere else for the storm.
- Connect with us! Here’s how:
- Feature Topic: Ways that Disney Brought us Together!
- Brenda: Her Momma first introduced her to Disney
- Sophie: Daddy and Mommy introduced her to Disney. You could say that she was born into it.
- Mike: My Grandparents first took me to Disney.
- Listener Feedback:
- Pixie Denise had this to share with us: “I think my experience may be adjacent to your topic. I never experienced a family vacation as a child. When my youngest was 2 in 2015 we took our first family vacation. My girls have celiac disease and are on special diets. My son is hearing impaired. For the first time in my life we went somewhere (WDW) and I experienced pure magic and frustration free vacationing from the magic and ease of getting accommodations for their dietary needs with little effort. From then on it became our go to family vacation because once we entered the Disney bubble we were truly able to relax and spend time together as a family.”
- Pixie Stephanie had this to share as well: “I think this is wonderful! My dad definitely gave me my start! We went to Disney every single year if we could. He continued the tradition after Addy came along. We go every year at Christmas now. We really feel like he is with us when we are there . Now Ginger absolutely helped me get my start on the TA side of things. Without her I honestly don’t know where I would be in my career. She was the best.”
- John had this to share: “Working at Disney then meeting my now wife while working there. And now we have a daughter that just loves it as much as I do.”
- Meghan shared a great memory! “When my son won the Year of A Million Dreams and we got to stay in Cinderella Castle. Hooked for Life!”
- Sheila shared about her Uncle: “My Uncle who took me to the 25th homecoming celebration for friends and family at Disneyland.”
- Chrissy shared this with us: “I was blessed to be born into the GenX generation which is the Disney World Resort creation and opening gen. Yep, we’re old! We were the lucky ones that grew up watching all the OG creations with the magical hope and excitement of what is next as the legends and stories came to be On screen as art, not live action remakes. Every story was fresh and new. We saw the evolution of animation to CGI. So Disney was life to aspire to hopes and dreams and being heros and fairy-tale love ideals for when we came to be adults. So for me it was life from the start.”
- Chandler had this to share about our friend, Lou Mongello! “Lou Mongello is the person. I started listening to the WDW Radio podcast at Episode 10, went immediately back to 1, and haven’t stopped since. Sure, I liked all things Disney – the movies, the Parks, the attractions – but this guy really brought me to a whole new level of enjoyment and excitement.”
- Stephanie added her take: “My uncle! Thanks a lot… hahaha!”
- Pixie Brittany added her reasons: “Stephanie’s Dad (my uncle) is also why I have my love of Disney. They took me along on family trips to Disney my whole life. When I decided that I wanted to become a TA, Stephanie was my biggest supporter and helped me get my foot in the door with Pixie. Getting into travel was the best thing I have ever done for myself. I absolutely love my job and my clients.”
- Friend of the podcast Jen also has a family connection to WDW. Here’s what she said: “My parents! They took my family to Walt Disney World in the 80’s. We always watched Disney shows and movies and the magic was just entwined into my childhood. As an adult, watching my girls light up on our first trip in 2018 was the light that had fueled my renewed love and ultimately has led me to Pixie!”
- Pixie Stefanie shared her memories: “My parents took me once when I was about 7 but honestly I don’t remember that much about it. It wasn’t that identity shaping for me. After years of struggling to have my daughter I finally got to take her there when she was 3 1/2 and I teared up seeing her face when we walked up to Magic Kingdom. Her eyes literally lit up and it was truly magical. My husband even got teary, and he is the least emotional person I know. From then on, we were hooked!”
- This Day in Disney History for October 3:
- Disney Who’s Who Character
- Penny from Bolt
- A little bit of Walt
- “The most important thing brought about in the past quarter century of motion-picture history is the recognition that amusement, recreation, mass diversion, is no longer a dispensable luxury. Family fun is as necessary to modern living as a kitchen refrigerator.” – Walt Disney
- Coming Next Week: An Interview with Ira David Wood III!
Watch us on YouTube!
As always, thank you for listening. We are having a lot of fun talking Disney, and I’m glad you are enjoying it as well! Remember, you can reach us in many ways — by email to firstname.lastname@example.org. You can also talk to us on our Facebook Page, On the Road with Mickey or in our On the Road with Mickey Group. Feel free to join us! Have a great week, and we’ll be back to talk with you again next week!