Celebrating Thanksgiving at Disney!
Hey everyone, I’m Mike, she’s Sophie, that’s Brenda, and he’s Grogu, and we’re On the Road with Mickey! This is episode 195 and this week our feature topic is Celebrating Thanksgiving at Disney! This episode we’re taking a look at how we celebrate Thanksgiving when we are at Disney. Here’s what we talked about this week!
- Cheddar from the Big Cheese
- Brenda: I know it’s no surprise to our listeners how much we love Dick Van Dyke around here (I am looking at me), so I am very happy to announce that television and film legend (and Disney legend) Dick Van Dyke will be honored in a CBS special airing next month on the network. “Dick Van Dyke 98 Years of Magic will air on Thursday, Dec. 21 (9:00-11:00 PM, ET/PT) on the CBS Television Network, and streaming on Paramount+ (live and on demand for Paramount+ with Showtime subscribers, or on demand for Paramount+ Essential subscribers the day after the episode airs). A Grammy, Emmy and Tony Award winner, Van Dyke has inspired generations of performers and will be honored for his contributions to the arts and entertainment. The tribute will travel back in time to the iconic set of The Dick Van Dyke Show and feature music and dance, performances, special guests and a special holiday number. The two-hour tribute event will also showcase songs and archival footage from the best of his nearly full-century career, encompassing Mary Poppins, Bye Bye Birdie, Chitty Chitty Bang Bang and more.
- Sophie: Breaking News: Not only is there a Frozen 3 in the works right now, but Bob Iger announced that there will be a Frozen 4!!! Yeah me…
- Mike: Unless you’ve been under a rock, you likely know that Pickleball is all the rage around the US and guests have asked Disney to help them in their efforts to travel healthily. Disney has listened and you can now find 10 pickleball courts at WDW. The locations include: Disney’s Contemporary Resort, Disney’s Animal Kingdom Villas – Kidani Village, Disney’s Old Key West Resort, and Disney’s Yacht and Beach Club Resorts.
- Connect with us! Here’s how:
- Listener Feedback: Under-Appreciated Lands
- Cindy: Rafiki’s Planet watch at Animal Kingdom. I think a lot of people miss out on the amazing research lab, the interactive animal petting section, the behind the scenes barns because they don’t take the time to ride the train over to the island.
- Chrissy: DinoLand, U.S.A.
- Feature Topic: Celebrating Thanksgiving at Disney!
- It is American Thanksgiving this week, and today we’re taking a look at how we celebrate Thanksgiving at Disney! Where do we eat? What park are we in? Do we stay out of the parks? Inquiring minds want to know, and we want to know how you celebrate Thanksgiving at Disney, so let us know in our Facebook group!
- Family, Family, Family – all about the people. Remembering the Cast Members who are working. Giving Thanks for our many blessings. Start at Hollywood Studios. Ride what we can, but mostly about being in the park. HAVE to watch the Cowboys game. After the game, we head to the Magic Kingdom. Again, ride what we can, but mostly it’s about being in the parks.
- Staying at the Cabins at Fort Wilderness. Full kitchen. BBQ Turkey on the grill. Decorate for the holidays. Share the meal with the neighbors and have thanksgiving on the deck!
- Spending the day at Epcot; like Brenda, I’m all about giving thanks for all of the blessings God has bestowed about me, so we are not focused as much on what rides we ride as much as being there in the moment. We are eating at Akershus in Norway because I have a fond appreciation for the Traditional Kjattkakke, which is Norway’s version of Swedish Meatballs. So good! We ate here on Thanksgiving once in the past, and all the rest of our party had Thanksgiving dinner while I had the Traditional Kjattkakke so there you go.
- This Day in Disney History for November 20:
- Disney Who’s Who Character
- The Beast from Beauty and the Beast
- A little bit of Walt
- “The important thing is the family. If you can keep the family together- and that’s the backbone of our whole business, catering to families- that’s what we hope to do.” –– Walt Disney
- Coming Next Week: Our Top 3 Christmas Movies coming to Disney+!
Watch us on YouTube!
As always, thank you for listening. We are having a lot of fun talking Disney, and I’m glad you are enjoying it as well! Remember, you can reach us in many ways — by email to email@example.com. You can also talk to us on our Facebook Page, On the Road with Mickey or in our On the Road with Mickey Group. Feel free to join us! Have a great week, and we’ll be back to talk with you again next week!